We have spoken to various women (both working and non-working) and tried understanding the challenges faced by them while buying garments. Some of the regular issues / challenges highlighted were as following:
- Not easy to find good quality work wear / office wear clothes – Limited companies selling the same
- Not enough variety – Limited variety in terms of designs and colors especially for Tops, Suits and Dresses.
- Fitting – Mostly standard sizes that do not fit all body shapes; getting alteration done is very time consuming and cumbersome
- Limited Colors - Limited choices in pastel and solid colors; can’t wear blingy clothes / standard red, green, orange colors for official / board room meetings
- Gaping Shirts or Tops: Scarcity of anti-gaping plackets in shirts or tops
- Visible zip and fly assembly in trousers: Most of the brands don’t address this issue
- Transparent clothes – Most tops especially white colored are transparent making these uncomfortable to wear
- Difficult to maintain – Most garments need dry cleaning and are not comfortable to wear all daylong
- Hardly any pockets in clothes – Need to carry separate bags for carrying small amount of money, credit cards, mobile phone and car keys
- Not enough customization to meet my needs –Some women have preference for comfort fit clothes or might want tops that cover their hip or trousers that cover ankles or skirts that go below knee length while there are other women, who prefer slim fit clothes or trousers that go only up to ankle length or skirts that remain below knee length. Further, there are some women, who prefer regular fit clothes with other specific customization. Most companies do not offer this level of customization or made to measure clothes.
Pooja Malhotra, Founder of Power Sutra is a doctor by profession and has worked for over 15 years in leading hospitals like Max, Fortis, Safdarjung, Lady Hardinge Medical College etc. She has travelled extensively globally and within India and faced many of the above issues while buying garments for herself. Being a fashionista and having a keen eye for fine clothing, designs and color combinations, Pooja decided to found Power Sutra Clothing Private Limited (Power Sutra) with a focus on addressing Desk to Dinner dressing needs of women.